headerbottom Monday ~ September 15, 2014  
Community Homepage

Community Resources

COMMUNITY THEATER
FIREMEN'S PARK
FOOD PANTRY
ISLAND CHURCH FOUNDATION
Information and Brochures
Photo Gallery
LOO SWIM TEAM
NUTRITION CENTER
TOWN OF PORTLAND
WATERLOO CAROUSEL
WATERLOO FARMER`S MARKET
WATERLOO YOGA
WYSO

More Resources

Island Church Foundation

The Island Church Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and promoting the Island Church, also known as St. Wenceslaus' Church. St. Wenceslaus Church was built in 1863. The little church, significant in Wisconsin's architectural heritage, closed in 1891. The church is a Wisconsin registered landmark, located at the intersection of Island Church and Blue Joint roads, off Hwy 89, south of Waterloo, WI.

The annual St. Wenceslaus Day celebration will take place on Sunday, September 28, 2014 from 11 am - 4 pm. This event is free and open to the public. There will be a Catholic Mass in the church at 2:00 pm. There will be a card party on Saturday, September 27 with Euchre and Sheepshead games.


Take a break and enjoy the inspiring views at the Island Church!
Sample the lovingly preserved heritage of early settlers at special fundraising events sponsored by the Island Church Foundation. In celebration of St. Wenceslaus' Day, the church, museum, and meeting hall are open from 11 am to 4 pm. A Catholic Mass takes place in the Church at 2 pm. The popular ICF hot beef sandwiches are available, along with coffee, cake, and ice cream. Brochures and postcards are also available for purchase.

St. Wenceslaus was king of Bohemia. Most of the settlers of the Island came from Bohemia and Germany. They were farmers. The Island was a large patch of high, fertile ground surrounded by deep, boggy wetlands. The Island Church Road was its only reliable access road. The wetlands have since dried out. The church is currently used as a chapel for small private wedding ceremonies.

There is a cemetery behind the church. Also on the grounds is a small museum featuring agricultural and dairying implements of the period. The bottom floor of the museum is used by the Island Church Foundation to host gatherings, including annual event, such as a picnic in July and St. Wenceslaus' Day (the fourth Sunday in September). e-mail:IslandChurchFoundation@gmail.com



©2014 City of Waterloo. All material is the property of the City of Waterloo and may only be used with permission.