Monday ~ December 09, 2013
OFFICE HOURS AT THE MUNICIPAL BUILDING:
8 a.m. to 9 a.m.
The City contracts with Independent Inspections, Ltd. for building inspection services.
See CONTACTS for reaching the Building Inspector outside of regularly scheduled office hours.
To schedule an inspection: call 800.422.5220. When calling for an inspection include your permit number and address.
Inspections are scheduled daily, Monday through Friday.
WHEN DO I NEED A PERMIT?
1. New Homes
8. Business Signs
WHEN DON'T I NEED A PERMIT?
2. Siding a structure.
3. Replacing windows with new of the same size.
WHAT IF I DON'T GET A PERMIT?
City Ordinances and State Statutes require building permits. If you do not get a building permit when it is required, the City can legally fine you for every day the work is not in compliance. The permit and accompanying inspections are to ensure you that the work is “up to code” and safe. Projects not done according to code can affect your home’s insurability and potential sale. Prospective buyers can check the City’s building records.
During the construction of your project, on-site inspections will be conducted to ensure that approved materials are properly used and the work is done to code requirements. Any work or materials that are not up to code will need to be corrected and be re-inspected. The inspections are for the owners and/or occupant’s health and safety, as well as protecting your investment.
WHAT DO I NEED TO SUBMIT AS PART OF MY BUILDING PERMIT PERMIT APPLICATION?
FOR ALL PERMITS:
Complete a Uniform Building Permit Application including DWG contract certificate number and DWG contract qualification number.
# NEW SINGLE FAMILY OR TWO FAMILY HOMES:
1. Two sets of complete plans including wall sections and elevation views.
2. Two sets of a Plat of Survey including all setbacks, 1st floor elevation and land elevations.
# ADDITIONS AND DECKS:
1. Two sets of complete plans including wall sections and elevation views. And for decks, please include joist and post information and layout.
2. Two sets of site plans drawn to scale including the proposed addition or deck. Show all setbacks to the property lines.
Two sets of complete plans including a scaled drawing of area being remodeled or altered.
# SHEDS OR DETACHED GARAGES:
1. Two sets of complete plans including garage wall sections and including elevation views.
2. Two sets of site plans showing the location of the proposed building and showing the setbacks from the property line.
# FENCES AND POOLS:
Provide scaled site plan showing location of pool or fence on property with setbacks from property line. Show fence elevation views
©2013 City of Waterloo.
All material is the property of the City of Waterloo and may only be used with permission.